» Turn 10-1068
Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:32 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Nest of the Koth
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:21 am by SilverDragonRed

» Star Trek TOS essential episodes?
Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:04 pm by NMdum1

» Turn 8-1068
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:03 am by FreelanceZero

» The end of a journey (Star Trek: Voyager Rumination)
Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:13 pm by NMdum1

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gameplay Elements You Irrationally Dislike

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Gameplay Elements You Irrationally Dislike on Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:59 pm

Certain gameplay elements are so basic and common that it's almost impossible not to appear in most games. What are some items, weapons, and playstyles, you just like to ignore?

• I don't like using Ice powers. When given an option, I go for Fire or Lighting. Even if the damage output is exactly the same, I feel like fire and electricity are more damaging.

• I never use mines/traps. I don't like waiting around to possibly deal damage because it's not always a guarantee the enemy will trigger them.

• Buffing weapons with temporary elemental damage I usually avoid. In Dark Souls this is most apparent as I feel like I'm cheating, even though it's a perfectly acceptable strategy.

• I almost never use bluntforce weaponry like maces or warhammers. I prefer the elegance of a blade.

• Flamethrowers. Just not my thing.

View user profile
- MMO weapons/gear/progression in games that aren't in MMO's/RPG's

Best example of this is Darksiders 2, where the original game was a mix between god of war and zelda, the sequel has more RPG elements that don't add anything and just make the game feel bloated with micro management.

i.e. In 1 there used to be 3 weapons (Sword, Scythe and Gauntlet) which can be leveled up, each with a slot for a specific upgrade (i.e. fire damage). In 2 there are now 7-8 weapon types (Scythes, Hammers, Maces, Axes Claws, Bucklers, Gaunlets and armblades) that mainly vary in terms of numbers and added effects rather than playstyle, I would have preffered if they just added more unique weapons with Darksiders 1 design.
It was also annoying to find enemies after the intro level that can one-shot me because I don't have good gear rather than my skill at the game.

View user profile
Most thieving mechanics. Especially in the Elder Scrolls series. There is simply not enough opportunities to resolve a conflict by sheer cunning. Sooner or later you're going to have to spill some blood, which totally ruins the whole 'thief with a heart of gold'/Robinhood roleplay. I'd like a class based RPG where a dedicated thief can solve all his problems stealthily and peacefully.

Sadly, as it stands thief means assassin that just likes money in most RPG's. Even though you can easily make more money as a Mage/Warrior.

I'm never playing a thief, assassin maybe, but not a thief.

View user profile
1. Lack of proper stealth mechanics in elder scrolls games.. because no one should be able to know that I stole their ****. Skyrim in particular screws this up spectacularly... with the Thug random encounter in towns..
2. Artificial Game Difficulty: usually found in older games, but still plague me to this day..
3. MMO f***ed up instancing: If I help kill a creature involved in a quest.. I better get something for my trouble.. damn ninja attackers..

View user profile

5 Re: Gameplay Elements You Irrationally Dislike on Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:49 am

When Playing  a sandbox and get a message that says "Go back to Mission/battlefield area or you will die" Grinds my gears to dust.

If you now have build a game map of great size for me to play around why then take it away from me when the main mission begins?
Why not let me take advantage of the map and use it to my full abilities.
Also fps/action games that do this STOP IT! your map is already small enough stop poking me around -__-.  

Also not letting me call in Car/plan of my choosing in main missions (I'm looking at you saints row 3).

View user profile

6 Re: Gameplay Elements You Irrationally Dislike on Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:55 am

non-sensical loot drops. How the hell did I find a dagger in a rat? or chainmail pants on a wolf?

loved ff12's loot drops when it comes to common sense, pieces of fur, jars of blood and tusks/fangs from animals, flowers/seeds/pollen from plant enemies, armor, money and weapons from humanoid enemies.

View user profile

7 Re: Gameplay Elements You Irrationally Dislike on Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:02 am

The Lack (or rather non-existence) of healing Spells in Dragon Age Inquisition. I still to this Day don´t understand why they removed them (but at least they braought the Storage back in the last patch).

Overuse of Quicktime events for simple Tasks (yes, I´m looking at you The Order!).

That you can´t kill a Boss without finishing a very hard quick time Event:
Ken´s Rage on PS3 is a prime Example where, after certain conditions are met, you need to put in the correct 8 digit button combination EIGHT TIMES FLAWELESSLY or the Boss just get´s half of is Life back.

View user profile

8 Re: Gameplay Elements You Irrationally Dislike on Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:10 am

Atheru wrote:The Lack (or rather non-existence) of healing Spells in Dragon Age Inquisition. I still to this Day don´t understand why they removed them (but at least they braought the Storage back in the last patch).

Overuse of Quicktime events for simple Tasks (yes, I´m looking at you The Order!).

That you can´t kill a Boss without finishing a very hard quick time Event:
Ken´s Rage on PS3 is a prime Example where, after certain conditions are met, you need to put in the correct 8 digit button combination EIGHT TIMES FLAWELESSLY or the Boss just get´s half of is Life back.

To this day IMO only 2 games have handled QTEs correctly, the first ironically being the grandad of it all - Shenmue - and Asura's Wrath. The reason for this is that the button prompts meld with the actions seen on screen flawlessly. in shenmue the y button is evade, x for punch, a for kick and b for hold and all these were well represented in the game, as for asura's wrath it felt more organic due to the analog stick motions mimicking the resulting action on screen making your brain react faster to these prompts because they logically make sense.

Last edited by nightcobra on Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

9 Re: Gameplay Elements You Irrationally Dislike on Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:13 am

Artificial difficulty in general, but especially meat gating. Here's some enemies and/or a boss, they have one hundred billion jillion HP and are incredibly boring to fight, GO!

10 Re: Gameplay Elements You Irrationally Dislike on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:07 pm

"I'm just gunna set my controller down and watch this Awesome cut--- OH SHIT QUICKTIME EVENT!"

View user profile

11 Re: Gameplay Elements You Irrationally Dislike on Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:15 pm

The Flood wrote:"I'm just gunna set my controller down and watch this Awesome cut--- OH SHIT QUICKTIME EVENT!"

I got burnt many times in Resident Evil 4 because of this. I remember scrambling for my controller on a number of scenes.

View user profile

12 Re: Gameplay Elements You Irrationally Dislike on Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:35 am

Not so much gameplay for me but games that waste their budget on stupid graphics and nothing else. A lot of the time I would rather go back to PS2 graphics but with modern game play animations and capabilities. Take away the nice shiny toys and maybe people will stop caring so much about how a game looks rather than if it is an actual game or not.

View user profile

13 Re: Gameplay Elements You Irrationally Dislike on Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:48 am

FrozenHollowFox wrote:1. Lack of proper stealth mechanics in elder scrolls games.. because no one should be able to know that I stole their ****. Skyrim in particular screws this up spectacularly... with the Thug random encounter in towns..
2. Artificial Game Difficulty: usually found in older games, but still plague me to this day..
3. MMO f***ed up instancing: If I help kill a creature involved in a quest.. I better get something for my trouble.. damn ninja attackers..

The Thug random encounter was just so offensively bad. I steal someones **** UNDETECTED and somehow figures out who steals it, their name, and hires some people to perform a hit on the Dragon Born. Does it matter that I did quests for them before hand? Nope. Lets perform a hit on someone who may or may not have stolen my goods. So I murder the thugs and pay the shop keeper a little visit. Guess what? She pretends to behave like nothing happens. No option to bring up the hit squad which I have their contract in writing, in their handwriting, signed in their name. Best of all, when I don the amulet of Mara she asks my hand for marriage. O'really? Killed her then turned off the game. Never played Skyrim again.

View user profile

14 Re: Gameplay Elements You Irrationally Dislike on Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:40 am

nightcobra wrote:
To this day IMO only 2 games have handled QTEs correctly, the first ironically being the grandad of it all - Shenmue - and Asura's Wrath. The reason for this is that the button prompts meld with the actions seen on screen flawlessly. in shenmue the y button is evade, x for punch, a for kick and b for hold and all these were well represented in the game, as for asura's wrath it felt more organic due to the analog stick motions mimicking the resulting action on screen making your brain react faster to these prompts because they logically make sense.

Yeah, these are the same Games I had in mind for correct use of QTEs.
God ... I want a Shenmue 3 Sad

View user profile

15 Re: Gameplay Elements You Irrationally Dislike on Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:12 pm

Button-mashing QTEs. Always feels like a useless waste of the keyboard's/controller's lifespan. Sad

Time-honored traditions of 'spikes on every surface of the level' and 'let's make you fight a bunch of the bosses you've already killed in the second-to-last stage even in cases where it makes no sense for them to be alive and well' Megaman series reused so much.

The first one both stalemates my efforts at playing a game I would really like to enjoy playing (I utterly fail at getting anywhere in any Megaman game) and, IMHO, breaks immersion.

There were these wonderful level background and foreground art assets just a moment ago that made the level seem like, say, an industrial/residential area, overrun by not only clearly military units but also utilitarian-looking robots that, due to some unknown reason, suddenly decided to kill everything that moves your character must to fight their way through to get to the root of the problem (in my opinion, X1-3 and Z games in particular were quite good at this at a decent portion of their levels), but, no, let's add some more spikes.

The second one not only crawled its way into other Capcom franchises (I did not appreciate running into this in Devil May Cry games, for example), but into some really unexpected places as well (second-to-last stage of Fire Emblem 7 was one such nasty surprise for me).

And while in Megaman it might make sense (however much I happen to dislike it personally) to give the player a go at all the bosses again but with full access to the special weaponry due to a). them being hard-countered by one (or in some cases, several) of the other bosses' abilities and b). the player being able to choose in which order they fight them and thus potentially missing out on the 'proper' order, other games usually don't have that going for them.

View user profile

16 Re: Gameplay Elements You Irrationally Dislike on Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:27 pm

Yeah, I really hate the boss gauntlet that a lot of games throw at the play near the end of the game, and I particularly hated them in the DMC series like you specifically mentioned.

Arch's Megaman X speedrun has me intrigued since he just completes the initial round of bosses, and doesn't play the sections of the game leading up to Sigma. The gauntlet in Megaman X always plummeted my interest in the game when I played it.

View user profile

17 Re: Gameplay Elements You Irrationally Dislike on Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:49 pm

-Quick Time Events: I didn't mind them at first with God of War, but the years have passed and after playing through DBZ Ultimate Tenkaichi & Resident Evil 6, quick time events are getting pretty annoying.
-Gimmick Controls: Good example would be running with the L3 in FPS games like Far Cry. Stuff that pretty much either hurts you or hurts the controller. Not to mention the Wii or Virtual Boy.
-Too many Cutscenes: This has become an era of movies & games mixed into one. I don't really call that much of a video game when you spend half the time watching opposed to playing. Hurts the replay value too because you have to invest the time to re-watch the movie.
-Grinding: I should specify, "too much" grinding. I don't mind the occational grinding especially when I'm listening to something, but it can really deflate a game. Kept me away from Final Fantasy for many years.
-General Dumb Stuff: Whether it be AI Difficulty, Poor level design, buggy hitboxs, stuff that doesn't make sense and expects you to be 100% perfect; the usual gripes.

View user profile http://bowmen.imgur.com

18 Re: Gameplay Elements You Irrationally Dislike on Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:32 pm

-Bosses healing between cutscenes/phases
For example: Dragonball xenoverse has you play through most of the events in Dragonball Z, so many of the missions are interrupted by cutscenes updating the situation (i.e. new allies/enemies appear) and once the cutscene finishes, any enemies you were previously beating down are back to full health while your health doesn't change.
It's mostly annoying because it sets a false precedent for a boss fight, I would much prefer it if their total health was just as big from the start so I have an idea of how far into the fight I am.

-Poorly explained mechanics (or mechanics that aren't explained at all)
Back to xenoverse, out of all the different missions where you fight Frieza, there are some where Frieza has some form of invisible armor/shield that prevents Frieza from flinching from most of the players attacks without needing to guard, this was never explained in the game AFAIK, it is implemented in may other fights and has lead to numerous deaths because I couldn't figure out what was going on.
When there are mechanics like this that can't be easily telegraphed/demonstrated they need to be explained to me by he game if required so I don't have to go to the forums to figure out what's going on.

View user profile

19 Re: Gameplay Elements You Irrationally Dislike on Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:15 am

Select difficulty
Easy
Medium locked until you finish the game on easy
Hard locked until you finish the game on medium
Insane locked until you finish the game on hard

Controls that can't be rebound.

The battle system is completely not representative of what combat is actually like out of it.

View user profile http://thethirdgames.com

20 Re: Gameplay Elements You Irrationally Dislike on Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:08 pm

This will sound petty, but—NO JUMPING FOR LINK!

Seriously, how many games across decades and platforms, and Link can't jump. Almost as pathetic as Atlaïr not being able to swim, or Sora being stupid Razz

You don't no how many times I wish Link could jump. Jump off and hookshot the wall, or dive and use gliding Leaf from Wind Waker. Jumping up and downward stab what look absolutely wicked, and as a player I'd feel like a bad-ass. Or jumping up and grabbing a ledge. There's a section I can't remind in Majora's Mask where there is a ledge that meets your head height. If you can only just jump up and grab the ladder rung and climb up. NOPE! Too high, I need a block to climb on top of.

Man, I just realized how Assassin's Creed parkour and Shadow of the Colossus jumping and grabbing onto has spoiled me. I hate Kingdom Hearts 1 for that same reason. If KH1 moved like Assassin Creed, I'd rate that game much higher. You know what, I don't care if people criticize developers for ripping off gameplay—more games needs Assassin's Creed jumping and climbing mechanics. They done it beautifully.

Imagine a Link game with AC parkour with a Hookshot! How sweet would that be!

God, Sora looks creepy today. Are we sure the whole series isn't a villain backstory?
(NO KINGDOM HEARTS SPOILERS! Just bought 2.5 HD Remix this week!)

View user profile

21 Re: Gameplay Elements You Irrationally Dislike on Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:18 pm

Most of the gameplay tropes I hate, I hate very rationally. Like not bothering to optimize ragdoll physics, or directional ****ing audio (which I absolutely ****ing despise).

But irrationally?

I dunno. Maybe buffs and debuffs? I really don't care for those in RPGs. Or traps. I much prefer direct damage... winning a battle with buffs, debuffs or traps just feels really boring and unfulfilling to me.

View user profile

22 Re: Gameplay Elements You Irrationally Dislike on Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:04 pm

Time trials in non racing games. I mean, why?

View user profile

23 Re: Gameplay Elements You Irrationally Dislike on Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:17 pm

I suppose there is one type of gameplay I irrationally dislike in ADDITION to rationally disliking; mobile games. What I used to call Flash Games (for when such types of games were very common online as quick and dirty Flash games). Go away dammit, let me have my real games! *flings elitism*

24 Re: Gameplay Elements You Irrationally Dislike on Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:38 am

I don't think I'm very irrational in very much disliking back tracking and fetch quests when done incorrectly. The idea of going back to an area you visited isn't inherently a bad thing, after all a game can only hold so much in the disc, cartridge download or whatever. But when there's nothing interesting about backtracking or fetch questing that can really sour the experience for me. I put down TLoZ Wind Waker the first time I played it because the Tri-force hunt was just such an un-fun chore to me. This bothered me to the extent that, just to by pass this issue, I created two save files for whenever I play Wind Waker on Gamecube. One for whenever I want to replay the game and start from the beginning, and one for right after the Tri-force hunt, just so I can by pass that part of the game and go straight to the end. This issue was prevalent as well in Skyward Sword as well but it didn't bother me as much since collecting the tad tones didn't take as long for me. That's why I've always had a bit of a hard time with getting into the Metroid Series. I've only beaten Super Metroid and Metroid Prime and while I like those games, the backtracking is what stops me from going back and playing them. The atmosphere, music, mechanics and narrative are what I play those games for.

Back tracking is a very hard thing to get right in game but to make succeed you need to make it so that the player get's to explore new areas or unlock new things or get new abilities as a result of back tracking. And if you can't do that, then you better have a good narrative reason to back track and make that pretty interesting. At least in an RPG you can use back tracking as an opportunity to gain some levels or get some items so it never feels like a complete waste of time and effort, and there is always something gained.

In a game like Super Mario Galaxy where you will inevitably have to back track to get all the 120 stars or even just the 60 needed to reach Bowser the game will always give you a new challenge to make it more interesting. That's backtracking done right in my opinion. I can't think of other examples off the top of my head and I need to get to bed, so if anyone can name any examples of good or bad backtracking I'd be interested to hear it.

View user profile

25 Re: Gameplay Elements You Irrationally Dislike on Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:17 am

An old thing that always bugged me is when you miss an attack point blank. I know its a percentage game like fire emblem and a lot of others, but its point blank it should hit.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum