Lorerunner's Forums

The Lorerunner's Forums

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Turn 5-1069
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:30 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Babylon 5: The Fall of Centauri Prime (S5:E19) ~ On the End of Londo Mollari and the Symmetry of Mister Morden
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 am by Arsene Lupin

» Turn 4-1069
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:30 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» StarCraft 2: Redux
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:23 pm by theshadowcouncil

» Potential Future Loreruns
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:26 am by WKC690

» Your Top 3 Themes of each Final Fantasy?
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:28 am by Alianger

» Lorewalkers' Top 5: JRPGs
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 am by Alianger

» Turn 3-1069
Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:21 am by FreelanceZero

» Bound by the Past
Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:58 pm by SilverDragonRed

You are not connected. Please login or register

Favorite Sci Fi Universe

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

What is your favorite Sci Fi World/Franchise

27% 27% [ 15 ]
11% 11% [ 6 ]
9% 9% [ 5 ]
7% 7% [ 4 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
4% 4% [ 2 ]
5% 5% [ 3 ]
20% 20% [ 11 ]
2% 2% [ 1 ]
15% 15% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 55

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Favorite Sci Fi Universe on Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:31 am

Pretty straight forward, I guess.

If Other, which one it is.

View user profile

2 Re: Favorite Sci Fi Universe on Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:50 am

=

Last edited by Wethewax on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

3 Re: Favorite Sci Fi Universe on Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:04 am

Hard to quantify "favorite" without appropriate context, but I'm going with Star Wars due to the wealth of lore (to hell with Disney's anti-cannon superweapon, cherry-picking my own headcannon from the EU), technology available and the pseudo-magic of Force manipulation, though ability for mundanes to have a fighting chance against it, so long as their will isn't lacking. A wealth of stories, not all exclusively dark and dreary, can be had among those stars.

View user profile

4 Re: Favorite Sci Fi Universe on Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:24 am

For me, this is a toss-up. I still like Mass Effect (despite its wasted potential and descending quality), and love Halo enough to purchase the Fleet Battles tabletop game that came out two weeks ago. Only really started getting into Star Wars in the last year; and Star Trek, the year before that. Barely even remember watching Andromeda (to the point that I forgot the name of the show before SFDebris did a review of an episode). Started watching Stargate a couple of months ago, and liking it.

Despite never reading it, the Honorverse seems like an interesting place. Firefly and Aliens/Predatorverse I've seen suggested are one and the same (but found both enjoyable). Aasimov's Culture setting I'm a huge fan of despite not having the books for half a decade now. Avid player of 40k. Really hate the Harlockverse, but like the Lensmen setting (created by E.E. Smith). Read the Dune novels once (liked the Frank Herbert written ones, not the KJA books), and saw both movies.

In the end, I'm going to have to say that it is a tie between Farscape and Outlaw Star. Both have a variety of the fantastical and the mundane so that despite being grand adventures (with occasional bouts of comedy) they still have a real lived-in feel to them.

View user profile

5 Re: Favorite Sci Fi Universe on Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:48 am

Too bad I could only vote once, I would have voted for Halo too. I think its pretty obvious what I voted for given my avatar.

View user profile

6 Re: Favorite Sci Fi Universe on Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:53 am

=

Last edited by Wethewax on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

7 Re: Favorite Sci Fi Universe on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:55 am

Either Star Wars or Star trek. But my vote had to go towards Star Trek. Halo still has lots of untapped potential. Mass Effect has great world building too But sometimes it seems a bit too streamlined. And of course why isn't Warhammer 40k on the list?

View user profile

8 Re: Favorite Sci Fi Universe on Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:31 pm

Kolson Wezrae wrote:Too bad I could only vote once, I would have voted for Halo too. I think its pretty obvious what I voted for given my avatar.

I thought you could vote more than once. Probably should have mentioned

Wethewax wrote:
OmegaSpruz wrote:If Other, which one it is.
Any chance you could put Farscape in the options? Currently "Other" has two votes and they're both for Farscape, which means Farscape is in second place after Star Wars, and yet it doesn't have it's own category.

Sadly I cannot edit the poll itself anymore, I have no idea why. I did want to add some more, but just couldnt.

LibertyPrime wrote:Either Star Wars or Star trek. But my vote had to go towards Star Trek. Halo still has lots of untapped potential. Mass Effect has great world building too But sometimes it seems a bit too streamlined. And of course why isn't Warhammer 40k on the list?

Warhammer is something I am least exposed too, so yeah.... didnt even think of it.

Finally I am torned between the Star Wars and Mass Effect. I will vote for Mass Effect as i like the designs, the ideas, the aliens. That said, when decided I am ignoring all of ME3 and Mac Walters stuff. Star Wars is amazing as well, but i find it hard to enjoy some parts of it because of massive amounts of EU deadweight. That said, when Star Wars knocks it out of the park, its amazing.
Star Trek I just cant vote for it, because my exposure is the Abrams movies and Arches Ruminations.
A lot of TV shows are amazing like Firefly, Babylon 5, Doctor Who and aparently Farscape, but i have never watched it. Yet all of them are great, but just short of being a stand out universe.

As was pointed earlier I agree that it is hard to compare because all of them are so different, and have different amazing things going for them.

View user profile

9 Re: Favorite Sci Fi Universe on Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:12 pm

voted for star wars because it really pushes fantasy more then science and it just makes it more fun like that, also really love B5 and Stargate, also really like Star Trek but also really dislike Star Trek at the same time so yea.

View user profile

10 Re: Favorite Sci Fi Universe on Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:20 pm

I enjoyed the Star Trek universe exclusively for the intellectual aspect thanks to the writing and characters, but as an overall setting it felt utterly.. "dry" and "stuffy", and unfortunately a lot of attempts to make the universe more appealing towards the rule of cool just seemed completely out of place and counter to the soul of the IP. The JJverse does this as much as it can, but even that world doesn't draw me in beyond the minute-to-minute storytelling.

View user profile

11 Re: Favorite Sci Fi Universe on Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:45 am

OmegaSpruz wrote:I thought you could vote more than once. Probably should have mentioned.

Nope, only once.

View user profile

12 Re: Favorite Sci Fi Universe on Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:53 am

While I do think that Babylon 5 is the best TV show I've ever seen, one of the biggest strengths of Stargate is its amazng universe. The exploration of mythology and politics and their widespread influences across multiple galaxies is just marvelous. But more than any other show, Stargate (SG-1 in particular) is able to satisfy a deep yearning for adventure and wonder inside me, because of its universe. And there's one particular piece of music that sums it up really, really well.

I'd even go so far as to say that if you haven't watched Stargate SG-1, but you like this theme, you're going to enjoy the show:
SG-1 Credits Theme.

View user profile

13 Re: Favorite Sci Fi Universe on Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:22 am

nope.

Last edited by DeutscheKind on Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : expunging.)

View user profile

14 Re: Favorite Sci Fi Universe on Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:31 am

Babylon 5 is definitely the most plausible and well-realized setting. Most of the others are basically mish-mashes of other settings. Like how ME is basically Babylon 5 with Jedi.

View user profile

15 Re: Favorite Sci Fi Universe on Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:56 am

Perry Rhodan for me, no doubt. One of the first well written Sci-Fi Universes with such a rich range of species and subspecies. (Btw the first series that had a Borglike Species in it!! Even before Star Trek!!!).

I really like Star Trek, Star Wars and especially Babylon 5, but beside Perry Rhodan they are all nothing more than your daily Soap Opera Storywise (my opinion Smile ).

View user profile

16 Re: Favorite Sci Fi Universe on Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:56 pm

=

Last edited by Wethewax on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

17 Re: Favorite Sci Fi Universe on Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:04 am

Other - Farscape. Ever since I first heard about it, it's been my hands-down favorite scifi verse!

View user profile

18 Re: Favorite Sci Fi Universe on Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:04 pm

Mass effect for me if Im honest with my self.
I love Star gate since i was a kid and Babylon 5 is one of my favorite tv shows of all time.
But Mass effect has a special place in my heart. It could be that mass effect came out in my teenage years and growing up with it gave me a feeling of it being part of my generation.
I also think that by playing through Mass effect 1 at least 15 times might give you some preferences.

View user profile

19 Re: Favorite Sci Fi Universe on Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:29 pm

i went with B5 i love the setting it has just the right level of balance, the tech level isnt too over the top, there is magic out there if you go out and look for it and when all is said and done the Rangers are all Batman and one of my big loves is settings where not everything is known and even places that are known can still be almost impossible to get to like the Well of Forever, so yep B5 all the way though Mess Effect is also a really great setting so that was a close second.

i know almost nothing about Battlestar and even less about the new one.

moving on to settings i hate Dr Who that setting is so messed up and there is plot holes you could fly the Deathstar though how many times has the Dr wiped out the daleks?

View user profile

20 Re: Favorite Sci Fi Universe on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:58 am

Star Wars is my default answer, which inspired my favorite anime Tenchi Muyo! so I'll throw that in too. And I'm fan of the Silver Surfer so Marvel Sci-Fi with Phoenix, Thanos all that good stuff.

Others I'm probably forgetting... Mass Effect is alright, Spaceballs jk, maybe Gundam Wing.

View user profile http://bowmen.imgur.com

21 Re: Favorite Sci Fi Universe on Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:34 am

Probably Xenosaga for me. Shame that the story format they've chosen to go for didn't cover much of that though.

View user profile

22 Re: Favorite Sci Fi Universe on Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:03 am

Wethewax wrote:Perry Rhodan? That's a name I've not heard in a long time.

Yeah wouldn´t surprise me. Besides a bad Movie made in Italy/Spain and a bad Videogame there were mostly printmedia.

And it´s only released in Germany (duh..) Brasilia, China, France, Italy, Russia, Japan (So why no Anime?!?! Razz ), Czechia and the Netherlands. So as you see no (official) english translated Version of any kind.

View user profile

23 Re: Favorite Sci Fi Universe on Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:29 am

Halo is getting no love in this contest. Why is that?

View user profile

24 Re: Favorite Sci Fi Universe on Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:52 pm

SilverDragonRed wrote:Halo is getting no love in this contest.  Why is that?

my guess is Halo was just on one console while most of the others are PC based or on TV personally i hear that Halo has a great setting and story but ive never played it as they are keeping it on the bone (just to clarify i have nothing against the bone apart from its power but i wont pay what works out at £400 for a single game and that's how i see buying a console for one or two games).

Last edited by permeus on Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

25 Re: Favorite Sci Fi Universe on Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:15 pm

I enjoyed the Halo franchise enough that I bought the Halo:Fleet Battles as soon as I heard it existed.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum