» Turn 9-1068
Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:08 pm by FreelanceZero

» Nest of the Koth
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:21 am by SilverDragonRed

» Star Trek TOS essential episodes?
Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:04 pm by NMdum1

» Turn 8-1068
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:03 am by FreelanceZero

» The end of a journey (Star Trek: Voyager Rumination)
Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:13 pm by NMdum1

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stargate SG-1 Season 9-10 Viewing (SPOILERS)

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Stargate SG-1 Season 9-10 Viewing (SPOILERS) on Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:15 pm

Finally completed Season 8 of the show. Found it to be the third fantastic season in a row. Thought the story wrapped up nicely in 'Threads' with a nice little time-travel two-parter to serve as their last adventure.

Decided to watch the two-part opening for Season 9 'Avalon', and then 'Origin' when I realized that it was the conclusion to 'Avalon'. But it wasn't in the vein as 'Enemy Within' to 'Children of the Gods' at the series beginning.

I felt an immediate disconnect when I saw the revised opening of the show. Something just felt wrong about it. Jack O'Neill not being the CO made me go 'WTF?!?' (I found out the reason why later on). Daniel Jackson was speaking all of his lines faster than usual. So far, I don't have a problem with the brother of The Dude being in charge. I was left wondering why Rani (Andromeda), John Crichton and Arryn Sun (Farscape) were doing there.

The only parts I found interesting or even entertaining in 'Avalon' were the segments that dealt with the political situation of the fledgling Jaffa Nation. Overall, 'Avalon' was boring for the most part; but laid the the groundwork for SG-1 3.0.

'Origins' is where the show started to irritate me. I did not like the Ori from the moment they were introduced. Why are these losers replacing the Goa'uld? How are albino blind fire benders preaching a stupid religion supposed to be a bigger threat the parasitic life forms in charge of the galaxy via a feudal oligarchical religion? Not to mention that they kept interrupting the Jaffa politics (the part I liked) with the damn Priori non-sense.

What are your thoughts on it? Should I continue with the show, or just move on to Atlantis?

View user profile
=

Last edited by Wethewax on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:25 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile
Its worth sticking with it to the end i um believe there is a bit of tie in with Atlantis and SG-1 in SG-1 Season 9 so you could alternate episodes.

I really enjoyed Atlantis as for universe it started to turn around towards the end of season 2, and then was just droped I felt like they could of turned it around into a good show kind of like what they did with enterprise.

View user profile
Definitely watch season 9 and 10... a lot of things will be explained... besides you came so far... it would be shame to stop now Wink At least do it for Adria Wink

View user profile
I personally think season 9 and 10 are pretty strong seasons with some of my favorite episodes of the entire franchise. There is somewhat of a disconnect, due to the new story arc obviously, but if you can look past that, you're in for a real treat. One of the episodes is even so great that I had a quote from it tatooed on my forearm, lol. So yeah, I think you should definitely watch it, but if you want to watch Atlantis as well, you can do both series simultaneously. In fact, I'd even recommend that. Season 8 to 10 of SG-1 take place at the same time as season 1 to 3 of Atlantis.

View user profile
ZGoten wrote:... So yeah, I think you should definitely watch it, but if you want to watch Atlantis as well, you can do both series simultaneously. In fact, I'd even recommend that. Season 8 to 10 of SG-1 take place at the same time as season 1 to 3 of Atlantis.

Agreed. You should watch them based on air dates... since they did crossovers between two series (at least 2 times if I remember correctly maybe more).

View user profile
And now something completely different... kind of... I'm in the middle of new SF show called 'Dark Matter' created by... Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie writers of Stargate universe...

I'm positively surprised (I was expecting worse as pilot starts as mix of Firefly and SG-Universe) but show is getting better with every episode. I can tell their budget was not high since interiors (except main Ship and shuttle) are well they remind you of either the submarine , shop-mall, old factory interiors.... etc... but it's not the problem since the story is OK. Besides there are some actors from SG-A so.... :-p And the show has much more better pace than SG-U (basically that's what killed [rather lack of] the first season of SG-U for me)

Anyway it's worth of checking... oh and BTW I'm pretty sure that Archengeia would like the ship's droid played by Zoie Palmer (no, no, no, not because she's pretty... but something about getting personality...sapient being...bla bla Wink )

I think you need to watch 3 episodes to judge if like the show...

View user profile
Yeah, Dark Matter is pretty good. I've mentioned it in the stream chat a couple of times, it's really worth checking out. Sometimes the dialogs are a bit spotty, and the budget isn't the highest, like you said. But the concept is good and well realize, at least up until this point.

View user profile
As I have said during some livestreams, uh, for me personally, I feel that Season 8 should have been the last SG-1 season. The only episodes that I enjoy watching from S9 and S10 are the ones -not- related to the Ori. But, uh, is it worth going through S9 and S10 for the first time viewing? I'd say... yes. For the reasons others have already mentioned (specifically the crossovers between SG-1 and SGA) and to be able to watch the two films. I usually find conventions with the actors to be a lot of fun, but also insightful into the "behind the scenes" portion of making a show/film and it might answer some of the questions you have or will have.

View user profile
=

Last edited by Wethewax on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:25 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile
I don't think Stargate (as a whole, SG-1 and SGA, not counting SGU) is very much known for its continuity... I mean, the little details here and there or some technology continuity? Nope... (Just IMO)

View user profile
=

Last edited by Wethewax on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile
I think you're taking Jango a bit too literal there.

View user profile
=

View user profile
I'm sure he'll explain.

View user profile
=

View user profile
I can't talk about SGU because I haven't watched it. A friend told me that I shouldn't watch it and I trusted him. At the time, finding out it got cancelled pretty early, it looked like the right call. I guess I could give it a shot these days...

What I meant to say is that a good deal of episodes (IMO) are independent of each other and you can find that several plots or ideas are abandoned (sometimes for good reasons, like the Zats' 3 shots ability...) such as the Reetou, the (S9 and S10 SPOILERS: Tok'ra, unless I am not remembering an episode), the whole plot about Aris Boch's people, the... species in weird armour who had purple blood and the appearance shifting devices and a few others. This might just be personal quirks of mine, but I think it should be mentioned.

View user profile
=

View user profile
They were, for two seasons. But I am not really complaining about that, I never liked them (Jacob was the only exception).

I never said that the major things don't count. Just pointed out some things that I think could have either not been brought up at all or finished in some form. I guess I should be on the look out for what you mentioned about SGA episodes in the future, I surely haven't noticed that.

View user profile
Having finally gotten back to watching the series only a few weeks ago. I grew to like the new overall feel of the last two seasons. Well, except for the Ori. They're just too much like the Goa'uld they're supposed to replacing.

The only differences really are find-replacing 'technology' with 'magic' and 'parasite worm' with 'ascended being'. Ori only seemed like a threat thanks to vastly superior power generation. And their ground forces are even more hilariously incompetent than the worst showing we got from the Jaffa.

But, the main reason why I bring this thread back up is ask a question.

Did anyone else feel disappointed or let down by that series finale?

View user profile
Isn't it because they were cancelled?

View user profile

22 Re: Stargate SG-1 Season 9-10 Viewing (SPOILERS) on Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:04 am

If that was the case, it would explain a few things. Otherwise, I'm left to believe that Earth now stands alone against an ever-growing crusade of zealots following (possibly) dead 'gods'. I don't think they stand a chance in that regard.

View user profile
I remember them being cancelled and then they made Ark of Truth to wrap things up.

View user profile
Ark of Truth?!? Is that a case of dues ex superweapon? Is it at least better the Crucible of ME3 infamy?

View user profile
SilverDragonRed wrote:Ark of Truth?!?  Is that a case of dues ex superweapon?  Is it at least better the Crucible of ME3 infamy?

I wouldn't consider it a super weapon whom ever looked in it or something well only see the truth or something its been a few years since i watched it, still much better then ME3 everything is better then ME3 ending.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum