Lorerunner's Forums

The Lorerunner's Forums

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Turn 1-1070
Today at 7:24 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» Black Scale
Today at 6:48 pm by SilverDragonRed

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY...
Today at 4:32 pm by WKC690

» PATREON CHANGES
Today at 4:13 pm by WKC690

» Black Water
Today at 2:17 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Turn 12-1069
Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:41 pm by Onyx Aurelius

» Turn 11-1069
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:51 am by Onyx Aurelius

» MCU Discussion Links - Historical
Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:12 pm by DollarD

» Turn 10-1069
Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:44 pm by Crensler

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why aren't books fun to read anymore? (Aftermath Spoilers)

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

I'm currently reading Star Wars:Aftermath and I've come to the conclusion that if you were to randomly pick a book out the the New Jedi Order, Legacy of the Jedi, or Fate of the Jedi series, that randomly picked book would be better than Aftermath.

I find no enjoyment in reading this book and I'm 100% positive that no one, not even the most die hard Star Wars veterans have bought this book for entertainment purposes.  

Aftermath is a poorly written exposition dump which gives no info and Star Wars readers are just rummaging through the debris to see what loose threads tied the carcass of The Force Awakens they can find.

This book is nothing. Literally nothing. If it was never to be written, it wouldn't change a damn thing.

View user profile
Your point? Books are probably not fun to read because you picked a bad book.

View user profile
The book that stardestroyer.net said was an utter piece of crap. Probably just an indicator that this new EU is not going to be better than the old one.

View user profile
I know this opinion is unpopular, as it is quite popular to bash on Disney and god I have quiet a bit of problems with Disney, but seriously its just one book.

Many people forget that old EU has a ton of horrible things which should not exist, or the prequel movies which were horrible. Give th AU a chance.

Ultimately the new EU(AU) quality will be hit or miss like the old one. So who cares, just enjoy the good, nobody is burning the old books away anyway.

View user profile
At the very least, the new stuff is answering some lingering questions. Disney canon is able to tell us that the blasters bolts are force field covered plasma streams (that are possibly self-propelled as well) and the clonetrooper/stormtrooper armour is a plastic-ceramic combination. Two easy questions that the old EU made overly complicated and unanswered.

Not to mention that it does some interesting ideas. Foremost would be the concept that Coruscant urbanized the core of the planet. But, that causes some serious headaches when you think about the problems that would cause.

View user profile
I've read a line or two....and it looks borderline novice level at best. I'm sure quality stories will filter in eventually at some point. Damn shame the new EU had to kick off like that.

View user profile
OmegaSpruz wrote:Your point? Books are probably not fun to read because you picked a bad book.

I referring to books (especially franchise books) that are written to just fill in background information and not be entertaining as well.




View user profile
OmegaSpruz wrote:I know this opinion is unpopular, as it is quite popular to bash on Disney and god I have quiet a bit of problems with Disney, but seriously its just one book.

Many people forget that old EU has a ton of horrible things which should not exist, or the prequel movies which were horrible. Give th AU a chance.

Ultimately the new EU(AU) quality will be hit or miss like the old one. So who cares, just enjoy the good, nobody is burning the old books away anyway.

I didn't mean to give the impression that I was bashing Disney or entirety the new EU. Aftermath is the first novel released in the new EU that I don't like. In my opinion this book is unforgivably lackluster.

View user profile
WatcherAM wrote:
OmegaSpruz wrote:Your point? Books are probably not fun to read because you picked a bad book.

I referring to books (especially franchise books) that are written to just fill in background information and not be entertaining as well.


Oh I see, sorry for the misunderstanding. Well in that case, I think you kinda answered your own question they are written to cash in on the hype and fill the background information, not because there is a story worth telling.

WatcherAM wrote:
OmegaSpruz wrote:I know this opinion is unpopular, as it is quite popular to bash on Disney and god I have quiet a bit of problems with Disney, but seriously its just one book.

Many people forget that old EU has a ton of horrible things which should not exist, or the prequel movies which were horrible. Give th AU a chance.

Ultimately the new EU(AU) quality will be hit or miss like the old one. So who cares, just enjoy the good, nobody is burning the old books away anyway.

I didn't mean to give the impression that I was bashing Disney or entirety the new EU. Aftermath is the first novel released in the new EU that I don't like. In my opinion this book is unforgivably lackluster.


I didnt mean you bash it, but around the internet people tend to hate on things such as the new EU, thats what I was referring too.

View user profile
The truth is simply that books have never been fun to read. And I studied literature, I should know.

View user profile
ZGoten wrote:The truth is simply that books have never been fun to read. And I studied literature, I should know.

Given your avatar, this immediately popped into my head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BTgR82sXWI

View user profile
ZGoten wrote:The truth is simply that books have never been fun to read. And I studied literature, I should know.

Subjective. Your personal opinion. WHy would you study literature if you dont like books?

View user profile
I had to study something.

View user profile

View user profile
I might be one of the only people that didn't mind the old EU being labeled "non-canon". To me it was a tangled mess that was damn near impossible for new readers like myself to get into. I tried to read wookiepedia entries on some characters and events but the descriptions went on forever. Some were seriously novel length.

I restricted myself to " Tales of the Jedi" and the "KOTOR" era because its pretty simple and easy enough to follow.

I don't bash on the new EU. I hardly considered the old one stellar based on what little I could decipher. I just call out bad wherever I see it.

View user profile
Kolson Wezrae wrote:

Exactly.

View user profile
JudgeSpektre wrote:I might be one of the only people that didn't mind the old EU being labeled "non-canon". To me it was a tangled mess that was damn near impossible for new readers like myself to get into. I tried to read wookiepedia entries on some characters and events but the descriptions went on forever. Some were seriously novel length.

I restricted myself to " Tales of the Jedi" and the "KOTOR"  era because its pretty simple and easy enough to follow.

I don't bash on the new EU. I hardly considered the old one stellar based on what little I could decipher. I just call out bad wherever I see it.

basicly same way i Feel

View user profile
Chuck Wendig is truly pathetic
He is begging people on Twitter to give him free 5-star reviews on Amazon.

View user profile

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum