Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Some interesting thing with Star Trek Discovery
Today at 3:23 am by ZeroCool

» StarCraft 2: Redux
Yesterday at 5:41 pm by theshadowcouncil

» Turn 5-1069
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:30 pm by SilverDragonRed

» Babylon 5: The Fall of Centauri Prime (S5:E19) ~ On the End of Londo Mollari and the Symmetry of Mister Morden
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 am by Arsene Lupin

» Turn 4-1069
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:30 pm by The_Wanderer_In_Rags

» Potential Future Loreruns
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:26 am by WKC690

» Your Top 3 Themes of each Final Fantasy?
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:28 am by Alianger

» Lorewalkers' Top 5: JRPGs
Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 am by Alianger

» Turn 3-1069
Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:21 am by FreelanceZero

You are not connected. Please login or register

Shadowrun Tabletop for newbies

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Shadowrun Tabletop for newbies on Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:46 pm

So, who here has shadowrun experience? I'm in a game right now, where we are all completely new. It seems like it could be fun, but we've been so bogged down in rules learning that nothing has happened in 2 sessions.

Right now the decker is trying to hack a zoo to maybe release some basilisks so in the downtime I decided to ask about how you all feel about shadowrun.

Any cool stories out there?

View user profile

2 Re: Shadowrun Tabletop for newbies on Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:18 am

Learning all the rules and building characters is an incredibly involved experience the first time around. It's a very fun experience if everyone is on the same page on liking involved, tactical combat. If not, then it's kind of "meh" in my experience. I'm not an incredibly huge fan of the combat although I do really like the setting and artists for the game. The rules can really bog down turns too. At Dragoncon a month ago I was sitting in the Shadowrun room doing some prep work for another game and listened to an hour long debate over what type of damage an exploding router did. That was one of the longer ones, but it illustrates the point.

The most fun I had with Shadowrun was playing a pixie decker/rigger. It was interesting being the guy who went in and did all the neat stuff with the security systems and drones. He was also a great stealth guy so he could physically infiltrate locations which bypassed a lot of the outside security barriers that a good majority of companies we faced depended on. I remember once instance where I took control of a luxury blimp and spent the entire session controlling everything inside to route everyone inside to separate security from our abduction target. It is great fun playing the puppetmaster.

View user profile http://thethirdgames.com

3 Re: Shadowrun Tabletop for newbies on Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:01 pm

Of all the tabletop options available that I have seen, I have always had a special place in my heart for the settings of both Cyberpunk 2020 and in particular, Shadowrun, though my only personally lived experiences with either have exclusively been the Shadowrun: Returns franchise, which I have adored. I envy you the chance at participating with a group genuinely interested in it, though based on anecdotal accounts, it does not surprise me that the mechanics of the combat engine are a thick and dry meal to chew through at first blush.

Coming from someone who has zero physical, hands-on experience with tabletops, those that I have witnessed that primarily use the numbers and game mechanics as a flexible framework for the participants to play in, but press boundaries for the sake of The Rule of Coolâ„¢ seem to have been the most entertaining, if a bit problematic for the very structured GM who prefers to have far more predictable and impacting consequences.

I do hope you guys are able to stic it out and the GM is accommodating to your collective goals for an enjoyable experience: tabletops still seem just ahead of digital entertainment in player choice and world impact, and frequently make for great storytelling and further inspiration.

View user profile

4 Re: Shadowrun Tabletop for newbies on Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:54 pm

The setting of Shadowrun is really interesting, and I really enjoyed my paraplegic, van-confined rigger who could fly his spy drones and combat drones and essential be anywhere.

Unfortunately, while I wish I could, I couldn't handle going 15 hours straight (across 2 sessions) and only getting two combat turns done (and that many additional RP scenes) because of how dedicated the party was to finding out every single relevant ruling and the inevitable arguments that followed. It just wasn't enjoyable for me, so I ended up pulling out. The combat system was a really interesting take on a turn based tabletop system though.

I'll probably try again when they actually learn the rules, but as it stands I more prefer tabletop for the role-playing aspects. The party and GM are more keen on rules-ing and playing with the system itself rather than role play. The GM used a module as well.

View user profile

5 Re: Shadowrun Tabletop for newbies on Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:23 am

Not that I'm advocating other game systems in a dedicated thread to Shadowrun, but 5e is really nice if you like roleplaying with quick combat. Just sayin'.

6 Re: Shadowrun Tabletop for newbies on Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:40 pm

5e? DnD? Or Shadowrun?

And this can be more of a 'cool tabletop experience thread' if that fosters discussion. =)

View user profile

7 Re: Shadowrun Tabletop for newbies on Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:30 am

5e D&D, yes.

8 Re: Shadowrun Tabletop for newbies on Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:16 am

I'll second 5e D&D for a lighter gaming experience and add a suggestion for FATE Core to the mix. FATE falls more on the narrative side of RPGs and its mechanics focus on building stories rather than arcane formulas for modelling grappling and whatever. If you want an even more accessible version play FATE Accelerated, which is even more stripped down on mechanical complexity (I personally prefer Core of the two as I still like some crunch but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Accelerated). The beautiful thing? Evil Hat lets you pay what you want for the PDF of either, including nothing if you so choose.

Here's a link if you are interested: http://www.evilhat.com/home/fate-core-downloads/

View user profile

9 Re: Shadowrun Tabletop for newbies on Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:35 pm

From your description, I think FATE might be for me. Thanks for that. Trouble is getting a group to go for it.

View user profile

10 Re: Shadowrun Tabletop for newbies on Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:35 am

That's always the trick. Good luck to you. Smile

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum